"Poor" posture can be caused by muscle imbalances, muscle weakness, core instability, injuries, and even by the shoes you wear!
The benefits of good posture include:
- Improved balance. Having better balance not only lowers your risk of falls, it can also improve your athletic ability.
- Less back pain. Good posture puts less stress and tension on the disks and vertebra in your spine.
- Lower risk of injury. Moving, standing, and sitting correctly reduces the strain on your muscles, joints, and ligaments.
- Less fatigue. When your muscles are used more efficiently, it can help conserve your energy.
- Fewer headaches. Poor posture can put extra strain on your neck, which can lead to tension headaches.
- Improved breathing. Good posture allows your lungs to expand more fully, allowing you to breathe easier.
- Better circulation. When your vital organs aren’t compressed by slouching, it can help your blood to flow more easily through your blood vessels and organs.
Pain (lower back, shoulders, neck)
Forward head posture
Visible symptoms (stronger wear on one shoe)